Its convenient to base yourself at one place and take day trips from there. In Lecce one such day trip that I took was to the town of Gallipoli. Initially I was a little doubtful using the local train service of Puglia, (not the national service which is Trenitalia), I took a chance and hopped on to a toy train to reach Gallipoli! Boy oh boy what a train it was!
The train looked as if it was never polished or painted in years. But what mattered that it was on time and took me to Gallipoli safely. It was only an hour’s journey from Lecce and I so enjoyed a taste of the Puglian countryside with the olive groves and semi barren land abound.
WHAT TO DO IN GALLIPOLI:
- Take a walk in the historic centre.
- Visit the many churches the town has to offer. I lost count!
- Head down to Spiaggia della purita (the beach).
- Buy olive oil from La Bottega del Salento.
- Admire the baroque architecture.
- Walk in one of the interior alleys and watch the locals go by their business.
- Find a place for lunch by the seaside.
Gallipoli is lovely! I don’t know if I would go back but it certainly is worth one trip.