Italian language is beautiful, with an inexplicable magic. Italian words have a unique sound that foreigners especially love. Right?? I always make sure of pronouncing new words to enjoy that sound and also understand how the locals speak. So while reading the book “Un Indovino mi disse” by Tiziano Terzani, I found myself speaking a lot of words ending with ISSIMO. Not only did I retain them but also learnt several new ones!! ISSIMO words are superlatives where the suffix “-ISSIMO” inflates the expression and meaning of an adjective.
For example, it is similar to short, shorter and shortest in English where there is a certain degree of level for an adjective. In Italian, however, we use bello, piu` bello and bellissimo. (Of course as per the gender of the subject). Seeing this trend, here are 25 fascinating Italian superlatives that end with -issimo which I guarantee you will love!
25 Fascinating Italian Words Ending with -issimo
Explanation with -issimo/a Suffix
The superlative of bello (beautiful) will be bellissimo (male) and bellissima (female) and would mean very very beautiful. Similarly, the superlative of dolce (sweet) will be dolcissimo / dolcissima and would signify something to be the sweetest! Now let’s see the 25 examples of words ending with -issimo.
1. Interessantisimo- very interesting
2. Tantissimo- very much, a lot
3. Serissimo- dead serious
4. Benissimo- very well
5. Eccitatissimo- very excited, as excited or eager
6. Vecchissimo- ancient,old fashioned, old
7. Semplicissimo- too simple
8. Italianissimo-truly Italian, very Italian
9. Lunghissimo- very lengthy
10. Buonissimo- extremely good
11. Dolicissimo- very sweet
12. Fighissimo- very cool, coolest
13. Grandissimo- the greatest
14. Altissimo– very high
15. Piccolissimo-smallest very tiny
16. Carinissimo- very cute, cutest
17. Delicatissimo-very delicate/frail/thoughtful
18. Purissimo- purest, very pure
19. Verissimo- truest, very true
20. Stanchissimo- very tired
21. Vicinissimo-closest, very close
22. Verdissimo- very green
23. Fortissimo- very strong/loud
24. Velocissimo- fastest, very fast
25. Intelligentissimo-very intelligent
Which ones were your favorite?? Share in the comments!
A different language is a different vision of life.”Federico Fellini