I remember going through pictures of Slovenia before visiting it this summer (2015). Lake Bled, one of the most popular tourist destinations of the country, evoked a sense of fantasy- as if it was a place right out of a Grimms’ fairy tale. Located in the town of Bled, Lake Bled is an easy day trip from Ljubljana.
My journey started quite early from the Ljubljana bus stand and I reached the town of Bled early to use the entire day to my advantage.
The views were breathtaking!
I was astounded by the emerald green color of Bled and the small island in the middle. Lake Bled really looked right out of a fairy tale with stunning views of the Julian Alps. It was truly a sight to behold and one that ignites so many things….inspiration, romanticism, tranquility, joy and creativity.
The entire area around the lake is laden with cafes and several tourist activities and there’s even a casino!! For kids, there is a mini train ride while for adults there’s an Irish pub.
WHAT TO DO IN LAKE BLED:
- Take a long walk at the lake from the beginning to the end.
- Click a million pictures because you’ll be tired later.
- Eat the delicious Bled Cream Cake!
I wish I was carrying a book!!
- Use the traditional “pletna” ride (maximum of 8 people for EUR 12 each) for a view of the lake.
- Visit the Church of Assumption in the centre of the lake. This 14th century fresco-ed church has very famous “wishing bell” that grants a wish to anyone ringing it. Worth a shot, I’d say!
Bled has an ancient story because of its medieval Castle which is perched on a hilltop. Although almost every other person hikes to the castle, I chose to give it a miss and instead just wandered around the circumference of the lake. It turned out to be the best and most ideal way to see the lake and also quiet simple.
How to Reach Lake Bled:
If you are visiting Bled from Ljubljana, head to the Ljubljana bus station- Trg Osvobodilne fronte 4.
Where to Eat at Lake Bled:
I ate at Pizzeria Rustika which has a great service and several vegan options too!
Where to Stay in Lake Bled:
PIN IT!! 😉