Only a few minutes away from Spanish Steps is Via Margutta– the most picturesque street in Rome. This is the alley where Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn lived in the movie Roman Holiday. I’ve mentioned it earlier in the Most Instagram-able Spots in Rome.
Via Margutta- Most Picturesque Street in Rome
Via Margutta is one of the prettiest alleys in Rome. From the beginning of the 17th century, Via Margutta has been associated with artists. Today it is a bohemian area full of art galleries, antique stores and workshops. It is also a popular spot for photography due to its breathtaking ivy filled lanes and the renowned Fontana degli Artisti.
Fontana degli Artisti (Fountain of the Artists)
“Fontana degli Artisti” (Fountain of the Artists) is a triangular fountain in Via Margutta. Designed by Pietro Lombardi in 1927, this grotesque fountain has two heads- one happy another sad and irritated. These are said to signify the moods of an artist! Furthermore, this fountain gives a complete homage to artists as it is crowned with paintbrushes.
Book Your Holiday in Rome!
Only in Rome is it possible to understand Rome.goethe
Pin this Post:
- 10 Most Beautiful Places in Le Marche, Italy
- Midnight in the Piazza- an art mystery set in Rome
- 5 Non fiction books to understand Italy better
- A Writer in Italy- a podcast on travel, books and art
- Rome to Florence train- my first scenic journey in Italy
- Sarasvatī Association-Promoting Indian Culture in Italian