I’m of the opinion that Italian is the most romantic language in the world. You may think I’m biased, seeing my story and travels. Ahem! But hear me out….Over the years I’ve realized that even the most boring Italian words are 100% more beautiful sounding and definitely more sexy. I know for a fact that locals would probably look at me and go WHATTTTT??but trust me as a foreigner learning the language I’m smitten by it! And I know, I’m not the only one. I mean who would think the Italian word for trash/garbage would be so lovely??! It is spazzatura by the way 😉 So anyway, this thought pushed me to make a list of the most ordinary, regular and simple 23 words that prove Italian is the most beautiful language!
A request- please be kind! If there’s a mistake or a spelling error, remember I’m a language learner and not an Italian teacher. I’m passionate about studying the Italian language and here to share it with all of you!
23 Words that Prove Italian is the Most Beautiful Language
1. Piccolezza- smallness, minuteness or a little thing
2. Esasperante- Infuriating, irritating, annoying etc (depends on context of usage)
3. Dondolare- this is a verb which means to bob, swing or sway
4. Zanzariera- mosquito net!
5. Pellegrinaggio- pilgrimage (remember to break the word to pronounce it correctly!)
6. Squallido-bleak, sullen, gloomy, dreary etc. (depends on context of usage)
7. Zelo- enthusiasm or zeal
8. Sedurre- this is a verb which means to entice or seduce
9. Indovino- seer or a fortune teller
Fun fact: the verb “indovinare” means take a guess!
10. Alquanto- quite, almost, kind of, rather
11. Pungente- pungent
12. Prevedibile- predictable
13. Menzogna- lie, falsehood or deception
14. Sfuggevole- fleeting, elusive
15. Spettro- spectrum
16. Biancastra- off-white, whitish
Fun fact: I read the word biancastra in Tiziano Terzani’s “Un Indovino mi disse”. It stayed with me because he was explaining a particular road in Vietnam. This book explores the author’s travels in South East Asia.
17. Razzo- flare or a rocket
18. Rimembranza- remembrance (be careful of the Italian spelling!)
19. Sobborgo- suburb
20. Gelsomino- jasmine
21. Sconclusionato- inconclusive, illogical, irrelevant
22. Rametto- twig or small branch
23. Intrappolare- this is a verb which means to trap or ensnare
So did you learn new words from this list?? Don’t these words make Italian language even more beautiful! 🙂
- Is it useful to study Italian??
- Learn Italian with Nuovo Espresso Textbooks
- 7 Free Italian Language Resources to Explore Today
- 23 Words that Prove Italian is the Most Beautiful Language
- Learning Italian in Abruzzo with Gentilmente
Pin this Post:
Header Photo from Unsplash, Credits: Jordan VC
Don’t forget to see my Italian language learning tips on IGTV below!