According to me, Italian is the most romantic language in the world. You may think I’m biased, seeing my story and travels but hear me out. Over the years I’ve realized that even the most boring words in Italian are beautiful sounding and definitely more sexy. I know for a fact that locals would probably not understand this but if you’re a foreigner learning Italian, I’m sure you’re equally smitten by the language! I mean who would think the Italian word for trash/garbage would be so lovely??! It is spazzatura by the way 😉 So this thought pushed me to make a list of the most ordinary, regular and simple 23 words that prove Italian is the most beautiful language!
A request- please be kind if there’s a mistake or a spelling error. I’m a language learner and not an Italian teacher. I’m passionate about studying the Italian language and I’m only here to share it with all of you!
23 Words that Prove Italian is the Most Beautiful Language
1. Piccolezza- smallness, minuteness or a little thing
2. Esasperante- Infuriating, irritating, annoying etc (depends on context of usage)
3. Dondolare- this is a verb which means to bob, swing or sway
4. Zanzariera- mosquito net!
5. Pellegrinaggio- pilgrimage (remember to break the word to pronounce it correctly!)
6. Squallido-bleak, sullen, gloomy, dreary etc. (depends on context of usage)
7. Zelo- enthusiasm or zeal
8. Sedurre- this is a verb which means to entice or seduce
9. Indovino- seer or a fortune teller
Fun fact: the verb “indovinare” means take a guess!
10. Alquanto- quite, almost, kind of, rather
11. Pungente- pungent
12. Prevedibile- predictable
13. Menzogna- lie, falsehood or deception
14. Sfuggevole- fleeting, elusive
15. Spettro- spectrum
16. Biancastra- off-white, whitish
Fun fact: I read the word biancastra in Tiziano Terzani’s “Un Indovino mi disse”. It stayed with me because he was explaining a particular road in Vietnam. This book explores the author’s travels in South East Asia.
17. Razzo- flare or a rocket
18. Rimembranza- remembrance (be careful of the Italian spelling!)
19. Sobborgo- suburb
20. Gelsomino- jasmine
21. Sconclusionato- inconclusive, illogical, irrelevant
22. Rametto- twig or small branch
23. Intrappolare- this is a verb which means to trap or ensnare
Which of these words were new to you?? 🙂
- 15 Italian Words related to Environment
- 7 Italian Idioms for Intermediate Speakers
- 15 Delicious Italian Idioms on Food
- 10 Contemporary Italian Songs to listen today
- Is it useful to study Italian??
Pin this Post:
Don’t forget to see my Italian language learning tips on IGTV here!